It is officially the 101th birthday of Finland today.
Never would I’ve thought I’d be missing my home country this much when I got a one-way ticket to Japan, but now that I live here, I’ve noticed what a great country Finland is and that there are so many things I love and miss about Finland!
First of all, I have never been the person who mentions their country with pride, but lately I’m really getting into the nerves of people around me, since I have a mission to let everyone know if Finland was mentioned in any kind of news, if something is Finnish made, or if I just think the Finnish way to do things is better (which it usually is, if you don’t mind me saying).
So for your annoyance as well, here’s a little list of things I love and miss about Finland:
- My family and friends ❤
- Helsinki, that beautiful city of mine
- Christmas & Christmas food (What would I give for a joulutorttu right now)
- Dark nights with snow
- Proper heating (Sorry Japan, you know that this needs to be fixed)
- Easy to understand and (free) health care
- Boundaries between work & personal life
- Fazer Chocolate
- Santa Claus (Because he is from Finland, sorry Sweden and Norway)
I miss these things so much, but in a weird way it makes me happy to know that I can have these things only back home. Japan is obviously a home of its own for me, but Finland will always have a special place in my heart ❤
Happy Birthday Finland.
PS. I’m getting a Finnish Christmas lunch at the Finnish embassy next week! 🎅🇫🇮