25 has been one of the most amazing years in my life; I started it in Sendai celebrating my birthday with my boyfriend, his family and all my Sendai friends; spent the most amazing spring and summer in Finland with my family and friends; found an internship followed by the job of my dreams in Tokyo and moved to Japan – and here I am in Helsinki waiting for my new visa!
It’s been a crazy year and I’ve learned so much about myself, so I thought I’d write down a list of 25 things I learned at 25:
- Only you can make yourself happy
- Positivity makes all the difference
- If you want to make something happen, say it out loud
- Everything starts with the first step, no matter how tiny it might be
- Change is good, don’t be scared of it
- Say yes to opportunities, you never know where they will take you
- Be more open to people, they might just change your life
- Kindness will always come back to you
- Don’t think too much
- Stop regretting things if you can’t change them
- Own up to your mistakes, blaming other people is a waste of time
- There’s no reason to compare yourself to other people since everyone has their own path
- Even if things don’t go according to plan, remember to have fun
- Sometimes it’s better not to say everything you think out loud
- You only have today – make the most of it
- Your family and friends are the most important people in your life – let them know that
- Loving someone sometimes means being selfless
- But sometimes it’s good to be a little selfish
- Know when you have to let someone go
- Even when things feel shitty, you will survive
- Challenging yourself will always be worth it
- Alcohol should be enjoyed, but water is as important
- Me-time is important, but sometimes it’s the people who give you the most energy
- Being happy is more important than achieving things
- BE YOURSELF – what’s the point of holding back when it’s your life?
Truth be told, I’m a bit sacred of turning 26…It’s such a grown-up number and I’m not sure if I’m ready for it. Looking at where I am now it doesn’t feel like much has changed, but I’m so happy to have experienced this year and so excited to see what 26 has in store for me!
I hope everyone who reads this remembers to have a look at their year once in a while and appreciate the steps you’ve taken and the things you’ve achieved – no matter how tiny they might be. I also hope you’re as excited for the year to come as I am!
Happy Birthday to me!